Tuesday, November 8, 2011

On the Eve of Greatness

Thought I'd share a quick update on the previous week...

Last week Sunday, the movers packed up our apartment in Ramallah in preparation for its shipment across the Atlantic.  That same day after work, my work colleagues treated my darling wife and me to dinner, laughs, and some generous gifts to help us keep Palestine close to our hearts. 

Monday, my darling wife and I visited friends for coffee, tea, treats, and conversation one last time as part of our final week farewell tour.  On Tuesday after work, we took a final 'road trip' to Bethlehem via speedy (read: reckless) public transport.  In Bethlehem, we gave the Nativity Church a final glance, picked up some souvenirs, and and took a stroll through the narrow streets.

Wednesday was our final day in Ramallah, Palestine.  I worked while my darling wife prepared the luggage and ran final errands.  After work, we said our final good-byes, grabbed a final meal (at Darna, where I ate my first meal in Ramallah in August 2010), and got into a taxi for the airport.

The flight to the US was uneventful and soon we were in Dallas, TX for a friend's wedding.  We arrived Thursday and the wedding was Saturday, so we saw a little bit of Dallas and a lot of our hotel room, enjoying the comfortable bed and recovering from jet lag.  The wedding was Saturday morning.  It was a beautiful affair--a bit chilly and windy, but we were under bright, sunny skies and love was flowing abundantly.

After brunch and a relaxing early Sunday afternoon, I flew from Dallas to Baltimore.  Today (Monday, November 7) was my first day back in the office I worked in for nearly 6 years before moving to Palestine 10 months ago.  It was oddly familiar in a distant kind of way.  Nice to see some old friends, and good to meet new colleagues.

And I can't help but think that great things are ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment